502 Authentication Failed, but it eventually connects

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

502 Authentication Failed, but it eventually connects

Postby masoniter » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:24 pm

I get this error message with every version of newsbin BUT 6.50.

[15:05:40] ERROR DG - Connection Failed: Newshosting Server Index:1 502 Authentication Failed

The weird thing is that after a few seconds it connects just fine, and eventually all the connections work--but sometimes it can take a few minutes for all the connections to work. I never get this message with the 6.50 version of Newsbin. I guess I could just use that version, but I would like to take advantage of the features in newer versions.

I use Newshosting usenet server. I don't think they use TLS, but I am not sure. I have SSL enabled--but the problem persists even without SSL enabled. I am not using too many connections. I also use Newshosting's official client and haven't ever gotten this error--but I prefer to use Newsbin because it has more features.
masoniter
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/05/13

Re: 502 Authentication Failed, but it eventually connects

Postby Gaddor » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:14 am

I have the same issue also on Newshosting.. I get the same Authentication Failed Messages for awhile until it eventually connects..

Fooled around with different settings without anything changing the outcome..
Gaddor
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/22/05

Postby masoniter » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:41 pm

I am really not sure what could be causing this. It seems like it is problem with newsbin since I don't receive this error at all with version 6.50 but do receive it with every other version. Either that or a conflict between another piece of software that I am using and every version of newsbin BUT 6.50. I use comodo firewall and panda antivirus, but there is nothing which would indicate a conflict with this software. The problem seems to be even worse with the latest version 6.60. Sometimes it can take a couple of minutes for all the connections to connect. Thanks.

EDIT: quick update: After upgrading to windows 10 and reinstalling the latest version 6.60, I don't seem to be getting this error anymore. So maybe it was some kind of conflict with windows 8.1 or something, or something changed in the latest build.
masoniter
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/05/13

Postby Quade » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:59 pm

502 is right from the server to Newsbin. It's not a connection failure. It's the news server saying "go away". First thing I'd to is remove the firewall, reboot and then see if it does the same thing.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support