Unrar Putting Files Into Wrong Directories In 6.11 Now

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Unrar Putting Files Into Wrong Directories In 6.11 Now

Postby MichaelW_ » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:36 am

Well, things seem to have gotten worse than in 6.10. It seems to be happening on posts with a lot of files (in this case MP3's.) Where it seemed to be just problems with long paths in 6.1, it is worse in 6.11. It seems to be worse with longer paths, but even on short paths about 75% of the files go into the right directories, about 15% go into the root of the extracted folder and the rest show up in a folder in the root called Un????.tmp (the question mark numbers change in different unrars). I know you have a do not unrar on a group basis, could you also add an option like download but do not unrar on a per item post, like download to folder named for subject is an option now? Another option, could you go back to the unrar behavior of 6.0 where if, for any reason, path length, etc, newsbin would fail the unrar and just kick up an error into the log and not just decide to put the unrar'd files wherever it decides it can.
Last edited by MichaelW_ on Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelW_
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/10/09

Re: Unrar Not Putting Files Into Right Directories In 6.11

Postby MichaelW_ » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:41 am

As an example, all of my newsbin downloads go to a folder in c: called Newsbin Downloads. Do a download to folder named by subject of the following rar set:

(NoCrap) [132/136] - ".rar.par2" yEnc

It was posted less than a day ago in a.b.mp3. When newsbin unrars it, it is a disaster. Files everywhere. Some folder names not created and its files put in the root, some folder properly created but files in the wrong folder.

Another problem I mentioned above about the wrong folder names being called UN????, they seem to be called UNR6????.tmp, and they are numbered consecutively.
MichaelW_
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/10/09

Re: Unrar Putting Files Into Wrong Directories In 6.11 Now

Postby rh » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:14 am

I'm seeing the same thing, "occasionally". But, the download window shows the un???.tmp where it put the file so I just go there.
rh
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/27/04

Re: Unrar Putting Files Into Wrong Directories In 6.11 Now

Postby Quade » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:26 am

Newsbin unrars to these temp folders and then attempts to move the files to the final folder. If the move fails, they remain in the temp folder. There are two causes of failure

1 - These same files already exist on the destination

2 - The move process failed for one or more of the files.

I suppose 3

3 - Something prevents Newsbin from moving the files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Return to V6 Technical Support