Old/New problem

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Old/New problem

Postby apsen » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:13 pm

Here's another problem for you. Here is what I do:

1) open group
2) search for \.exe
3) Ctrl-A
4) Mark Posts Old (BTW no progress is displayed)

So far so good - all those posts look like old.

5) close the group
6) open the same group
7) search for \.exe

Oops... There're new posts listed!

Rinse and repeat.
apsen
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/13/07

Re: Old/New problem

Postby DThor » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:48 am

Can't repro that here. I tried it with my Global filter both allowing and disallowing .exe files, same results. I had auto mark old disabled. Not sure why you see that. I'm using a slightly more recent internal version, but afaik apart from some speed enhancements, there's been nothing that fundamentally changes the way marking/viewing old works.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby apsen » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:12 am

DThor wrote:Can't repro that here. I tried it with my Global filter both allowing and disallowing .exe files, same results. I had auto mark old disabled.

I have no filters setup and I only mark old manually. \.exe is just an example. I get this with all kind of search strings.
Actually there's no need to search for any particular string it is just harder to spot this problem then.

If I check Storage DB then I could see some of the misbehaving posts still having NN_IsNew set to 1.
If I update it to 0 with sqlite3 then NB does not show them as new anymore.

All age settings currently set to 15000. I do not see anything else in the options that should affect this behavior.

What else could I check?
apsen
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby DThor » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:45 am

I get this with all kind of search strings.

To clarify, it's nothing to do with search, right? The issue is marking old apparently not working for you.

exe is a very special case, which is why I enabled/disabled the global filter entry for it to test. If you're saying you get this on many patterns, it's not about the pattern, it's about deducing that a *specific* post can be marked old, then show up new again. Find a post, mark it, reload it. If it shows up new, then something's wrong. Offhand, I don't know what's going on your end, perhaps someone else has a thought.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Ace » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:58 am

DThor wrote:
I get this with all kind of search strings.

perhaps someone else has a thought.
I do have a thought but it may or may not be relevant to the latest versions. I saw something like this in an older version, where there was something flaky going on with the older posts not remembering that they were marked as old. I'd mark them old and they'd show up again, but it was always an older post that did it, never a recent post.

If you want to run a test to see if something like that could be going on with the new version, here's what I'd try:

Change all the age settings from 15000 to maybe 400 (or pick a number) and try it again. If you still see the problem, you can ignore my thought.

If it goes away, then you at least have a clue to start from.
Ace
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/19/03

Postby Quade » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:01 pm

Just be careful. If you update the groups with the storage age set to 400, it'll prune the groups down.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby apsen » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:31 pm

DThor wrote:To clarify, it's nothing to do with search, right? The issue is marking old apparently not working for you.

Right, it just that without search it's hard to find the message - need to do a lot of scrolling. If it happens on low volume group it would be easier to do.

DThor wrote:Find a post, mark it, reload it. If it shows up new, then something's wrong.

Yes, I could reproduce this problem without search like that.

It may have nothing to do with real problem but so far I've noticed it only when there're many posts with exactly the same subject or with the posts that could be collapsed into single line.

In case of many posts with the same subject some of them would be marked old but some of them would stay new no matter how many times I try to mark them old.

In the other case if I cannot mark them old in uncollapsed mode I could work around by collapsing them into single line and marking that line old.
apsen
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Ace » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:37 pm

Quade wrote:Just be careful. If you update the groups with the storage age set to 400, it'll prune the groups down.
Good point. I'd planned to test this on the latest version but I have been doing other tests first.

If that's a concern maybe test just one newsgroup, but first back up the headers for that group to a separate folder. It will prune the headers in the main folder, but when the test is done, you could restore the headers from the backup folder, so nothing would be lost.
Ace
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/19/03

Postby apsen » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:27 am

Here's what I did:

Add new group to NB (a.b.boneless) and download all headers.
I've got 420117 headers in the list.
Select all and press Del.
The posts turned gray but did not disappear from view although I did this in 'Hide Old' mode - usually they do disappear.
Close the group, open the group.
Now I see 15084 new posts.
Ctrl-A, Del.
This time the posts disappear and I have 0 visible posts.
Now I see 25 new posts.
Ctrl-A, Del.
Now I see 6 new posts.
Ctrl-A, Del.
Now I see 2 new posts (one of them is collapsed).
Ctrl-A, Del.
Now I see 1 new posts (collapsed).
Click it, Del

After several more retries I still cannot get rid of this last post (whether in collapsed form or expanded):

Code: Select all
"how she does it.part01.rar" yEnc ,Downloaded [1 files,0 pars],5.1 MB,11d:12h:50m,pbchwutd@msdphqcldp.com,a.b.boneless
  "how she does it.part01.rar" yEnc ,Downloaded [1 file],5.1 MB,13d:14h:19m,pbchwutd@msdphqcldp.com,a.b.boneless
apsen
Active Participant
Active Participant

Return to V6 Technical Support