Read Post Body usually doesn't

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Read Post Body usually doesn't

Postby Ribble » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:33 am

6.11 Build 1342 - but goes back to about 1298 - about time when Current Progress shows red segment blocks

Read Post Body only works about 10% of tries, seems better with Shift key, but Add To Download List always works for same file.

Read Post Body puts in Download List, and most times sits there forever.

Didn't want to post a nastygram since there is a work-around. But I use it a lot. Thanks.

---
Update: Seems to work fine while downloading headers.
Ribble
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/04/09

Re: Read Post Body usually doesn't

Postby DThor » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:30 am

I see nothing like this. Define 'forever'. If you attempt to read a large chunk, it will take as long as it needs to download it. And the shift comment - you're saying ctl-r almost never works unless you shift it? When it fails, what do you see? Newsbin will give you feedback either in the download queue or in the status log tab.

I read posts all the time and have never seen this.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:28 am

I'm wondering if there are 430 errors and maybe RPB doesn't retry the way a normal file download does? Like you D, it just seems to work for me.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Ribble » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:30 pm

I have to do more checking. I right-click a file in the index (Message Pane ?) and left-click Read Post Body. The file shows up at top of Download List as a single red segment.

In the Read Posts directory, a NB2 zero byte file is created.

"Forever" means it never downloads. As in, not in my lifetime. Files are .nfo small, less than 10KB.

Anyway, it appears to be a priority thing. Seems to work OK while downloading headers or separate files and doesn't work while downloading a file-set.

Just a habit of holding shift key down, I thought that bypassed filters even for Read Post Body.

Tell me how to look for 430 errors - I have a habit of closing the critical errors window, but don't know how to open it again.
-----------
OK, 430 error in Logging. No Such Article. - It is trying from GigaNews and not Astraweb. File is too old for GigaNews one month retention plan that I have.

Disabled GigaNews and it worked, but have to play more to be sure.

Apparently when GigaNews is busy with the one connection downloading headers, AstraWeb tries first and works.
---
Could be that Read Post Body doesn't check that the file is older than the one month retention that I have set for GigaNews, and then it doesn't retry from AstraWeb.
Ribble
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/04/09

Postby Quade » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:41 pm

Could be Newsbin should be trying both servers but, isn't too. I'm leaning in that direction.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby DThor » Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:42 am

Makes sense. Btw, you don't need to bypass filtering to read a post, it always works.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Return to V6 Technical Support