NZB compatibility question

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

NZB compatibility question

Postby Ace » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:23 pm

Notice this is a question, not a request to change anything . Version 6.10 has worked very well so far in my tests, and I've really put the autopar feature to work by downloading a lot of stuff at the limits of my server retention where there are lots of incompletes that need to be repaired. So far it's passed the tests with flying colors but I still have some more testing to do.

My question is this:

Is there a standard format for nzb files?

If I have files in a download queue in version 6, select then and right click to make an NZB from them, if there's more than one subject, they really come out jumbled up when I open the nzb in version 5. To be more specific, I had 60 avi files in the v6 download queue and I was ready to stop testing version 6 and go back to using v5 until I can run some more tests on version 6. I right clicked the files in my v6 download list, saved them to an NZB, and opened that nzb with version 5. To my surprise, I only got 24 items in the compressed view. Some of them have just one avi, but many have 3 or 4 of the avis combined into one compressed item in version 5, and they aren't even in sequence, which seems a little odd.

If I try to download them from the compressed view the par files go to the par folder, but autopar doesn't work unless I manually move at least one file for each avi to the download folder. If I uncompress the view and download, everything goes to the download list, including all pars and then I get all the PARS whether I need them or not. So the nzb file definitely helps me transition my download list, but it's apparently not completely compatible between 5.59 and 6.10.

Version 6 re-opens the files perfectly from the nzb saved with version 6, so from that perspective, there's nothing to fix with version 6. I like version 6 very much so far, and I plan to switch over to it when I finish my testing at which point this will become a non-issue for me. If your answer is to stop using version 5, and you don't support it anymore, I'm fine with that, I plan to probably do that. So I'm not asking for any changes to be made related to this, I'm just curious more than anything else, about the nzb format.
Ace
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/19/03

Re: NZB compatibility question

Postby Quade » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:53 am

The format for NZBs is one file per "FILE" section in the XML. Any compaction beyond that is purely Newsbin. There have been significant changes in how compaction works between 5 and 6 with 6 doing a better job in general. If it's working and 6 but, not 5, I'd say 5 is broken when trying to compact that particular set.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: NZB compatibility question

Postby Ace » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:27 am

I agree 6 is doing a better job in general with the compaction.

Nice improvement!

And thanks for answering my question, that would explain what I'm seeing.
Ace
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/19/03

Return to V6 Technical Support