Verrsion 6.1 versus Version 5

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Verrsion 6.1 versus Version 5

Postby Andrew Rosenberg » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:10 pm

Dexter,

I like the feel of Version 6.1 It is fast, not a memory hog, and the search feature appears to work 100% of the time.
That being said, I prefer the look of version 5.

Some programs (like BS Player) have "skins". Is this a possibility with Version 6?

I guess I am showing my age (I am 56) as getting used to this new version is difficult.

Thanks & regards,
Andrew Rosenberg
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/29/07

Re: Verrsion 6.1 versus Version 5

Postby Quade » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:24 pm

Look in the view menu. You can change the look there. I don't think you can make it look as old a 5.XX did though.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Elvanion » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:04 pm

Any idea how to get the three pane view back? Seems everytime there is a real upgrade. Newsbin tosses all my layouts, fonts and settings into the dumpster and this is really annoying. "minor cosmetic changes" my left hand leg. I love the program but this stuff getting reset every time gets old.

Now if I am doing something wrong, I hope someone will lead me by the hand to wisdom. :)
Elvanion
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/25/03

Postby itimpi » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:24 pm

There is a sticky in this forum area where Dexter has made a video on just this issue.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby ozzie » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:09 am

Andrew Rosenberg wrote:Dexter,

I like the feel of Version 6.1 It is fast, not a memory hog, and the search feature appears to work 100% of the time.
That being said, I prefer the look of version 5.

Some programs (like BS Player) have "skins". Is this a possibility with Version 6?

I guess I am showing my age (I am 56) as getting used to this new version is difficult.

Thanks & regards,

Tell be about it! I'm 64 and hate the new look, and am having great difficulty getting the layout as I want it! and yes I've tried to follow the steps in the video but it just won't do the same thing on my system!
Is it possible to install it to a different DIR so i can use either version? that will give time to sort it out, I've tried but it keeps wanting to install to the same DIR!
ozzie
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/06/07

Postby Quade » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:17 am

If you had 5.59 installed, the easiest thing would be to make a copy of the "Program Files" folder for Newsbin before installing 6. Then you'd have both on your system and could run either one. You'd just have to make shortcuts to each one. You could probably re-install 5.59 and try this but, I've not actually done it myself.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby ozzie » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:54 am

Quade wrote:If you had 5.59 installed, the easiest thing would be to make a copy of the "Program Files" folder for Newsbin before installing 6. Then you'd have both on your system and could run either one. You'd just have to make shortcuts to each one. You could probably re-install 5.59 and try this but, I've not actually done it myself.

After much fiddling I finally have both versions running ok from different shortcuts.
After more fiddling I also have finally got the layout as I want it.
After doing a couple of small test downloads I noticed that the PAR tab is missing! and can't find a way to get it back!
ozzie
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:02 am

It's called the wish list now and isn't typically used when downloading any more.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby ozzie » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:07 am

Quade wrote:It's called the wish list now and isn't typically used when downloading any more.

I always use the Par Tab!
So now we have to manually move all those files into the Wish List, wow, that's adding a lot of work for us, why on earth couldn't the same procedure of having them automatically put there be continued...
ozzie
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:39 am

Put what there? The pars are now included with the files and only downloaded if they're needed. This assumes you have autopar turned on. I have to make some changes for people who don't use autopar.

If you want Newsbin to download, repair and unrar, just add the sets to the download list and stand back.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby ozzie » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:55 am

Quade wrote:Put what there? The pars are now included with the files and only downloaded if they're needed. This assumes you have autopar turned on. I have to make some changes for people who don't use autopar.

If you want Newsbin to download, repair and unrar, just add the sets to the download list and stand back.

OK, will test it more...
Being in my 60's I really don't like change, but, I do see a lot of speed and memory improvements with V6 already, and now I have the layout the same as I've had it for years, I will eventually get used to other changes too.

Thanks for all the work put into making such a great program, I tried many Usenet downloaders over the years before settling on Newsbin, and it is without doubt the best there is.
ozzie
Active Participant
Active Participant

Return to V6 Technical Support