V6.10RC1-1267 does not finish processing downloaded file

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

V6.10RC1-1267 does not finish processing downloaded file

Postby meerkat80 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:17 pm

File downloaded ends up as a folder, not a avi file. I refresh the page it then becomes an avi file.

I download a multipart avi file. I see each individual rar file created. Finally all the rars are downloaded and a folder gets created by same name. You hear a little processing going on, then all the rars are deleted. A properties on this folder returns the location and a size of 0 bytes. I can't open the file. Get error "mydownloadedfilename refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on the computer, or on a network.....". If I refresh the page the folder changes into a normal avi file.

If i download 5 multipart files, the first four get created normally while the fifth ends up like above. I then have to refresh the page to get a working file.

It's like newsbin isn't cleaning up completely. So I get a folder instead of a useable file. I hope this makes since. This is XPsp3.

Thanks.
meerkat80
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/03/07

Re: V6.10RC1-1267 does not finish processing downloaded file

Postby Quade » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:44 pm

What page are you refreshing? Sounds like things are happening on disk and whatever you're looking at isn't noticing the changes till it's refreshed.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby meerkat80 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:43 pm

Hi.

I download any file which is a split archive. There are x number of parts to the file. I have the XP window open the files are being saved into. As each part of the archive is downloaded and saved by newsbin, the window gets updated to show the archive parts. When newsbin has downloaded the last part, it then extracts the archived file. To do so it appears to first create a folder by the same name as the archived file. It appears in the XP window. A couple of seconds later, I see the the archive parts deleted and the folder is left behind not the actual file. I have to refresh the XP window for the folder to change to the file. If I am downloading multiple split archived files, it is only the last one left this way. I never saw this under V5. I only noticed this because I never close the XP window where my downloaded file are. Is this more helpful? I don't know where the issue lies and blaming newsbin may be wrong. Thanks for your time, this isn't a big issue.

meer
meerkat80
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:49 pm

I have to refresh the XP window for the folder to change to the file.

This is the key. XP isn't refreshing the display. It doesn't seem to be a Newsbin problem. Files download, repair and unrar. Isn't that all you can expect from Newsbin?

I'd watch the files list in Newsbin and see when the unrared files show up.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby meerkat80 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:03 pm

That is what i have been doing, watching the unrared file. The unrareds file get combined, deleted but the finished product does not show up, just that folder which has the name of one of the headers which was created after the last part was downloaded. As soon as I hit refresh, windows converts the folder to the actual file. It's just different behavior than version 5. Yes newsbin downloads the parts of the archive, puts them together, extracts the content, but leaves a folder not a file. At least until the window is manually refreshed. This actually started back with the first beta I downloaded some 1-2 months ago. I am using Winrar 4.0. May I ask which version you are using? Winwar alone works fine.

Thanks Quade
meerkat80
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:57 pm

As soon as I hit refresh, windows converts the folder to the actual file.

There's no conversion. The file was generated, the folder deleted, the rars cleaned up but, XP didn't show you the change until you refreshed. That may be different but, again, I'm not hearing a problem in newsbin. Newsbin's doing everything it's supposed to. You could watch the files list in Newsbin and see when the output file is generated and compare that to what XP shows you. I'm talking about the files list IN Newsbin that shows all the downloaded files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support