Retry Download Doesn't

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Retry Download Doesn't

Postby Bismark » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:52 pm

Since I installed Beta 6, there has been a problem downloading big RAR's. If some of the blocks don't download, i.e. just have the green half block in the progress bar, I used to be able to tell Newsbin to "Retry Download." Now nothing happens and the blocks stay green and the file never Unrars. If I close Newsbin and reopen it, the blocks are quickly downloaded and the unrar takes place.

I assume I can re-install beta 5 without any risk.
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/27/10

Re: Retry Download Doesn't

Postby Quade » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:09 pm

What server are you using? What happens if you wait 5 minutes? I know exactly what's happening. Newsbin has requested the block from the news server and the server has stalled out delivering it. I'm seeing it here with one of my servers. What should happen is that after a couple minutes, it'll fail the read and the block will be retried. Newsbin won't retry a block that's currently downloading so, you see this stall and try to retry and nothing happens because Newsbin's waiting for the server.

It's possible to reduce the delay but, if you reduce it too much you'll cause errors.

That's my current theory. I'd like to know what happens if you let it sit. I'd like to know if you see any timeout errors in the log. That would confirm my theory. I might have to add special code for these delaying servers.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Bismark » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:41 pm

I am using NEWSHOSTING. I just waited 10 minutes and nothing happened. Closed Newsbin and opened it and all is OK>

Here is what came up in the error popup, not sure they are related.

[12:32:24] ERROR Socket - Error: WSARecv Socket Error Code: 10054 An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

[12:32:24] ERROR NNTPSocket - SendCommand Worker - Server:nhxl.newshosting.comSendCommand - failed to Read Response From server: Socket - Read From Server Failed
[12:32:24] ERROR NNTPSocket - Socket HandleError - Server:nhxl.newshosting.com SendCommand - Server Disabled Service on connection:
[12:32:24] ERROR Socket - Error: WSASend Socket Error Code: 10038 An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.

[12:32:24] ERROR NNTPSocket - SendCommand Worker - Server:nhxl.newshosting.comSendCommand - failed to send command to server: Unspecified Network Error
[12:32:24] ERROR NNTPSocket - Socket HandleError - Server:nhxl.newshosting.com SendCommand - Server Disabled Service on connection:
[12:32:24] ERROR Download Engine News_Hosting - INT_OpenItem -DL_DI - Failed to retrieve Article from Server::News_Hosting
[12:38:27] ERROR Socket - Error: WSARecv Socket Error Code: 10054 An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host.

[12:38:27] ERROR NNTPSocket - SendCommand Worker - Server:nhxl.newshosting.comSendCommand - failed to Read Response From server: Socket - Read From Server Failed
[12:38:27] ERROR NNTPSocket - Socket HandleError - Server:nhxl.newshosting.com SendCommand - Server Disabled Service on connection:
[12:38:27] ERROR Socket - Error: WSASend Socket Error Code: 10038 An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.

[12:38:27] ERROR NNTPSocket - SendCommand Worker - Server:nhxl.newshosting.comSendCommand - failed to send command to server: Unspecified Network Error
[12:38:27] ERROR NNTPSocket - Socket HandleError - Server:nhxl.newshosting.com SendCommand - Server Disabled Service on connection:
[12:38:27] ERROR Download Engine News_Hosting - INT_OpenItem -DL_DI - Failed to retrieve Article from Server::News_Hosting
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:20 pm

All those are signs that Newshosting is disconnecting the connection. Are you using SSL? I'll check to see if those errors are caught...somehow. My servers don't do that. I'll have to simulate it somehow.

Maybe I'll have to sign up for newshosting to test this.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Bismark » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:19 pm

Not using SSL. I really did not see this problem prior to installing Beta 6, Can I install beta 5 over B6?
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:37 pm

You can run any version you want. The configuration is compatible going backwards to 5 but, but, not much else is.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Bismark » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:16 pm

OK, I went back to Beta 5 and changed to SSL. (Yea, it should be one thing at a time, but I did SSL in B6. Have not seen the problem and......... Message selection works better than B6. In B6, if I select some messages, then move the mouse over another and drag, newsbin selects all the messages vrom the bottom of the previously selected group of messages. In B5, it works "correctly". It just adds the messages I selected by select and drag. Not sure this helps you, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Bismark
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to V6 Technical Support