downloadinh

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

downloadinh

Postby andy1494 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:19 am

when it is downloading it still shows the file on the bottom right has downloaded , as before on my last one when i file was download it was quickly removed of the screen how can i set this up on this version as well as ex download a game it show on the right the complete file when you click on it it shows all the files can this be change so when i download it just shows all the files tia
andy1494
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/21/05

Re: downloadinh

Postby DThor » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:10 am

Try rephrasing your question and take a minute to clearly define what you're talking about. Maybe someone else can understand what you're asking, but to me, you're clear as mud. If you're talking about v6 vs v5, the compressed display of a post can be expanded with button to the left of it. If you are also saying some posts are just sitting in the download queue and not downloading, the latest version has improved behaviour in that regard, if something isn't downloading, there's a reason for it. Perhaps not enough pars.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:38 am

Yeah, I'm kind of lost.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: downloading

Postby andy1494 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:22 am

first of all sorry that you did not understand what i said.

the file list on the bottom left shows them all as one untill you expand and then it shows all the files that are going to be downloaded can this be change to show straight all the files that are to be downloaded.

second on the right the files that are getting downloaded before on my old one when i single is complete it deleted it, now it will only do it when all is done hope that better info tia
andy1494
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/21/05

Postby itimpi » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:32 am

If you are asking about whether compacted entries can be shown from the outset in expanded view, then the answer is no, although Quade is thinking about possibly allowing that at some time in the future via a single key press. At the moment you can do it by using a key combination such as CTRL-A to select everything and then right-cursor to expand the selected entries. Be aware, though, that an expanded list is far more resource intensive - up to 10 times as much RAM for the list is not uncommon, and a large list can take some time to expand as alot of disk access has to take place to retrieve the information for the expanded entries.

As far as remvoing entries from the list a compacted entry is treated as a unit. Therefore the individual files within the unit are not removed as they are downloaded, although the whole unit will be removed when it is completed (downloaded, checked and decoded). This is again something that might become available in a future NB release, but that is by no means certain.

I guess this begs the question as to why you want the list expanded in the first place. Default behavior is to leave it in compacted format as that gives you a better view of over-all progress. Later stages of the process such as repairing and decoding file sets are shown in the status against the compacted entry so in those modes having an entry expanded is a disadvantage.
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby andy1494 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:54 am

ok thanks for that
andy1494
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor