Sometimes PARs Not Auto UnPaused

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Sometimes PARs Not Auto UnPaused

Postby BauerFL » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:13 pm

I have noted that sometimes PARs needed to repair a file set are not auto unPaused (I have as yet not determined when this occurs and when not, just sometimes it does).

In order to "manually" unPause the PARs, I need to expand the collection, select the PARs, and request they be unpaused.

Would you consider allowing Paused files in a collection to be unPaused by simple selection of the collection and requesting unPause so that the collection does not first need be expanded?

Thanks, Fred.
BauerFL
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/05/10

Re: Sometimes PARs Not Auto UnPaused

Postby DThor » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:34 pm

this can happen if the post might still be in progress. Newsbin will wait for a time before trying to continue. You can override this by Assemble incompletes. You can also shorten the length of time it perceives a post to be 'in progress'.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby BauerFL » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:11 pm

This PARs not auto unpausing has happened even hours after all the nonPAR portions of the collection have been downloaded (none are waiting for assembly; all show Downloaded status; all the full files are available at the download location; many other collections have bee downloaded in the meantime and some unRARed, some repaired, and some also in the PARs still paused state.
BauerFL
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby itimpi » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:27 pm

It is worth checking such a post to see how many repair blocks are needed. I have a feeling that Newsbin may not unpause them if it does not think there are enough queued repair blocks to repair the post. I culd be wrong on that, however!
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby BauerFL » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:30 pm

Good thought. In most of my cases, there have been sufficient PARs, though not in all. When there have been sufficient PARs, NewsBin will repair and unRAR the download just like it should have if the PARs auto unPaused. 'course when there are not sufficient PARs, nothing happens (as expected) after all PARs have been downloaded.
BauerFL
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support