Groups List - Download Latest - Reverse Sort

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Groups List - Download Latest - Reverse Sort

Postby Ribble » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:41 pm

6.01B3 1179

A small request for consideration.

In Groups List, make Download Latest reverse sort so that the Download List has the same order of header downloading as the Groups List.

My Groups List is in priority order and I'd like to end up with priority headers downloading at the top of the Download List.

Thanks, I know, this doesn't look easy.
Ribble
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/04/09

Re: Groups List - Download Latest - Reverse Sort

Postby DThor » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:59 pm

Hmm, what you're describing was in very early betas(pre-release) of Newsbin, but since release it's always downloaded headers in the same order as the groups list. Are you using GOG's(groups of groups), or just group names?

Just to clarify, when I hit Download Latest, the top GOG downloads first...

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Ribble » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:49 am

Groups of Groups.

When I hit Download Latest, the top GOG ... goes in the Download List first, and so on until the group at the bottom of the groups list goes in the Download List. The whole process takes about 1/10 of a second. So I end up with 30 groups in the Download List queue, in reverse order as they appear in the Groups List. The first group to download headers is the one at the bottom of the Groups List and the last one to download headers is the one at the top of the Groups List.

I see the confusion now. I mean right click in the Groups List, with several groups selected, and "Download Latest". (Ctrl-G shortcut)

"Download the Latest Group Updates" does _fill_ the Download List in the reverse order as the Groups List.

So what I would like is for "Download Latest" to _fill_ in the same manner as "Download the Latest Group Updates".

Maybe easier to do than I thought, since it is already coded elsewhere.

Sorry if you have to read this a few times as I have trouble making it less confusing.
Ribble
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby DThor » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:26 am

Well, let's skip the talk about top to bottom since I still find what you're saying in that regard confusing. Can we agree that something on top end in the group list should process before the ones below it? If so, then just hitting update works as expected. I think what you're saying is if you manually select multiple entries and add, it's reversed i.e. inconsistent? Not near Newsbin atm but I'll take a look later.

If you're talking about selecting top first/down vs the other way round, I don't personally think that should matter. To me, the order in the group list should drive it.

DT

[EDIT] yes, it appears the problem is best stated as 'selecting a mix of GOGs and groups and updating them gives a different order in the download list than just updating the lot'
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Ribble » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:56 pm

DThor wrote:[EDIT] yes, it appears the problem is best stated as 'selecting a mix of GOGs and groups and updating them gives a different order in the download list than just updating the lot'

Yes, not only a different order, but the opposite order. Changing the group list order makes one better and the other worse.

I keep three GOGs and two individual groups selected in Groups List (the ones that I use daily). Ctrl-G puts about 30 header downloads in the Download List. The headers start downloading. Three hours later, my fill server is still downloading a large group from the bottom of the Groups List (which ends up at the top of the Download List) and never gets to the priority groups from the top of the Groups List (which end up at the bottom of the Download List).

There are reasons why I do it this way, and it would be nice if "Download Latest" worked in the same manner as "Download the Latest Group Updates".

My first post at the top of this thread best explains the problem. The more I translate it, the more compicated and confusing it becomes.
Ribble
Active Participant
Active Participant

Return to V6 Technical Support