long log of NNTPSocket errors The server rejected your login

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

long log of NNTPSocket errors The server rejected your login

Postby KuriousGe0 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:08 pm

it seems to be corrected with 'high compression' but the errors repeat throughout every download *** pages & pages of logs

ERROR NNTPSocket - NNTP Perform Auth - secure.************server.com-The server rejected your login - contact your news service's support department. It's not a Problem with Newsbin : 502 Too many connections. ***

the EXCUSE of "" It's not a Problem with Newsbin : 502 Too many connections "" FALSE ..... as I am not even using my full # of connections
KuriousGe0
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/21/10

Re: long log of NNTPSocket errors The server rejected your l

Postby Quade » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:28 pm

News servers don't give up connections easily so, if you have poor connectivity, it's easy to run out even though at the current time you have fewer connections than permitted.

Lets say you connect with 10 connections and 5 drop out. Newsbin will pause a little then re-establish the 5 connections that dropped. At that point in time, the server thinks you have 15 connections. If this continues, even though you may never have more then 10 real connections, the connection timeout delays at the server end can eventually make the server think you've run out. That's what seems to be happening here.

The core problems is your connections are dropping out. If you're using wireless, you should probably use a cable instead. You should probably make your virus scanner or firewall ignore usenet traffic and/or use alternate ports or SSL to hide the fact you're using usenet from your firewall. If you're not using Astra or Giga, you might try disabling "X-Features" in the server options. You can also work around this be leaving a large buffer of unused connections so, as connections die, there's time for the server to clean out the dead connections before you hit the limit. Giganews lets me use 50 connections. I think I use 10 right now. It gets me full speed and leaves me a 40 connection buffer (not that I need it). I don't have any problems with connections dropping out here.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Re: long log of NNTPSocket errors The server rejected your l

Postby billynews » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:59 pm

KuriousGe0 wrote: ERROR NNTPSocket - NNTP Perform Auth - secure.************server.com-The server rejected your login - contact your news service's support department. It's not a Problem with Newsbin : 502 Too many connections. ***

Just a short hint:

If you got a new IP from your ISP because of the daily break you're getting this message as well.
If at this time a download is active, you will see this message a lot of times in the log.
billynews
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/15/07

Return to V6 Technical Support