downgrade

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

downgrade

Postby alaeddin » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:12 am

How do I downgrade to v5? 6 has been failing every big download and can not repair it. I just want to go back to what worked fine for me.

I have a long download list I do not ant to lose by downgrading.
alaeddin
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/27/04

Re: downgrade

Postby JsFrk » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:39 am

I don't know if you can downgrade or not but you could create an NZB from the download list then just uninstall then install and load the created NZB.
JsFrk
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/27/11

Postby Quade » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:15 am

Just install the older version. The old version downloads are listed at the bottom of the download page.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby meimeiriver » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:32 am

alaeddin wrote:How do I downgrade to v5? 6 has been failing every big download and can not repair it. I just want to go back to what worked fine for me.

I have a long download list I do not ant to lose by downgrading.

Fully agreed! v. 6 isn't stellar yet on AutoPAR/repair. Like for you, so far AutoPAR hasn't been able to fix a single broken (but fixable) download for me: either from failing the repair, simply not even starting the repair, and/or otherwise just mysteriously keeping the download in 'Paused' state. I always need to run QuickPAR manually on those types of files.
meimeiriver
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/07/08

Postby DThor » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:04 am

Instead of saying 'it doesn't work! ' and popping back down to virtual anonymity, can you PM examples of this? Plenty of users have no trouble whatsoever. More often than not, it's a misunderstanding of how to use it more than anything else. What you're claiming can be easily explained by the post being new, Newsbin is waiting to see if more posts are forthcoming. A lot of users don't want repairs done unless absolutely necessary. Be aware you can trigger a repair if you don't want to wait with a single click.
Saying you haven't had a single repair work means you download a very specific type of post, which again you should be reporting if you want it addressed. Some other oddities which trigger pauses are downloading large numbers of incomplete or broken posts. Again, single button intervention helps here, but if you want to manually manage the repair, that's your prerogative.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby meimeiriver » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:38 pm

Downgrade instructions to v. 5 would be nice. Installed Beta 4 today, Build 1205, and it took ages for it to even start downloading something (but scratching my disk like crazy). Then, shortly thereafter, it 'stopped responding.' It also keeps files paused for no apparent reason, and I can't make head or tails out of the obscure compound bars.

Sorry; it's probably me, but I can't work like this. :(
meimeiriver
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:55 pm

It's probably importing straggler RV4 files that never got added to the header DB. If you look at the cache indicator on the status bar and see (NNN) with a number inside the parens, that's Newsbin telling you it's importing RV4 files.

One change in B4 is that it hunts these files down when you start and imports them into the header DB.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby meimeiriver » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:27 pm

Ok, it's working again. Must have been those cache files then. Giving it another chance. :)
meimeiriver
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Ace » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:18 am

Quade wrote:Just install the older version. The old version downloads are listed at the bottom of the download page.
I was running version 5.56, and decided to try v6, but didn't read the release notes, so I didn't see that windows2000 wasn't supported by version 6, my mistake. I'll be upgrading the OS soon.

So I did what Quade said and re-installed an older version, but I decided to try v5.59 instead of 5.56 since 5.59 was the latest version compatible with Windows2000.

Now I have a strange problem I don't know how to fix. When I start v5.59, I get a "Warning" box saying:

"PAR repair is disabled - par2dll.dll is missing"

So I look for par2dll.dll and I find a file by that name in the exact same directory that Newsbin 5.59 starts from. Should it be in another directory? Or is there a different par2dll.dll file for v5.59 versus 5.56 that maybe didn't get overwritten during the install? I have no idea why I'd get an error it's not finding the par2dll.dll file when it's right there in the same directory as nbpro.exe...any thoughts?
Ace
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/19/03

Postby Quade » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:26 pm

Yeah....I suspect this is another Win2K issue. You probably need the single core par DLL.

Email ts at newsbin dot com and mention this forum post. I'll see if Dex can email you the single core DLL.

You know, if you re-install 5.56, copy the par dll and then install 5.59 and then copy the 5.56 DLL into place, it might work.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Ace » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:12 pm

Thanks for the reply Quade.

I tried re-installing v5.56 and that works, no error.

Then I saved the par2dll.dll file from that install to another directory, and installed v5.59. I deleted the par2dll.dll in the newsbin directory, and in its place copied the one I had saved from v5.56.

Then I tried to run 5.59 but I still got the same warning about the file missing. So I reinstalled v5.56 again and it works again.

I guess at this point I need to read the release notes for 5.57-5.59 to see if I'm missing anything by running 5.56, but I'm back in business for now, thanks for the help.

I don't fully understand the single versus dual core point, the Win2k PC does have a dual core processor, the Intel E6600. But I guess you are implying that maybe win2k doesn't provide some of the same dual core support in the OS as winXP? If so, I didn't know that, I thought XP and win2K were fairly similar. I'll wait till I read the release notes before requesting the single core file, if v5.56 is good enough I may not need it, but thanks for the offer and for the support!
Ace
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Email dex. I think he found an old DLL. It's possible that the interface to the DLL changed but, I'm skeptical.

I was under the impression that 5.59 worked just fine with Win2k so, I'm sort of puzzled.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Ace » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:11 pm

Quade wrote:Email ts at newsbin dot com and mention this forum post. I'll see if Dex can email you the single core DLL.
I just sent the e-mail and referenced that post.

I read the release notes and it looks like 5.59 does have some helpful advantages over 5.56, so I'll look forward to trying the file. Thanks again.
Ace
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Ace » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:30 pm

Dex very quickly replied to my e-mail, and sent me the file, and said I would need to test it rather than just verifying the error went away, so that took some time.

The "Test (if PARS present)" button still doesn't work but it didn't work on 5.6 either. But the single core par2dll.dll file did restore the same functionality to version v5.59 that I had with 5.56, which is, if there are missing blocks, it tells me how many are missing. I move that many blocks from the scratch list to the download list, and as soon as it has enough blocks downloaded, it automatically does everything, repairs the RAR file, then extracts the RAR file! So it works! (at least as well as it did before).

Just for fun I tried to do the same repair with version 5.59 after getting the error at startup with the original par2dll file. Not surprisingly, the repair failed, but I just wanted to verify that the replacement file does more than just affect whether the warning appears.

Thanks very much to Quade and Dex for the assistance! I had no idea there even was a single-core par2dll file to try, and it definitely solved my problem!

:D
Ace
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:00 pm

Do you have quickpar installed? I'm pretty sure "Test" is supposed to be invoking "QuickPar".
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Ace » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:09 pm

That tip helped me get autopar working even better, how it's supposed to work.

I had quickpar installed, and it still worked but I had to re-open the target par2 file once quickpar opened, maybe due to some kind of corrupted registry entry? I just tried uninstalling and re-installing quickpar, that didn't help. Then I went into file associations and saw that PAR2 "opens with" and the field was blank, which is strange, because when I double click a par2 file, it did open quickpar.

Anyway I just re-established that file association so the field isn't blank anymore, and now the autopar works better than ever! I don't have to manually move the needed blocks from the par list to the download directory anymore, even that part was automatic. I ran that test with the expectation of trying the "test" button, but it repaired the rar before I could even try it. I suspect that button will work now too, but if autopar continues to work like that last test I ran, I won't need the test button.
Ace
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby Quade » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:09 pm

Nice
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support