Auto mode doesn't seem to work

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Auto mode doesn't seem to work

Postby Desfarges » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:26 am

I m using newsbin V6 (F1) with an upgarde from 5.59, my groups are with "Auto mode" enabled
But when I click on update my groups list, Headers are download but no file are added to my download list.

If i install 5.59 over it, the auto mode works fine.

This is not a fresh install of newsbin, i made multiple test with older beta version of v6 (with an install of 5.59 over it after each test)
Desfarges
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/09/03

Re: Auto mode doesn't seem to work

Postby Desfarges » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:28 am

I forgot, im with W2008R2 with 64bits version of newsbin
Desfarges
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby dexter » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:42 am

You need to turn automode back on again when you switch to v6. Someone complained that it was taking off the first time and not giving them a chance to import headers from v5 so webdisabled it upon upgrade.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby Desfarges » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:49 am

Yes i made the change but the auto mode still doesn't seem to work
Desfarges
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby pemmel » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:18 am

Same results here...
pemmel
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/09/08

Postby Quade » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:22 pm

I have a couple groups in automode. They seem to work fine. I'll try changing a new group to automode and see if that works. Maybe the options isn't getting saved for new groups.

So you see "Auto" listed next to the group name?

I changed a couple new groups to auto and when I update them, files download from the groups.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby pemmel » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:30 pm

When selecting properties on a group and then under group options automatic dowload is checked. Yes I see "auto mode" after the group name.

If I download the latest group updates it does in fact update the group, of course just double clicking that group does the same thing.

But nothing goes into the download list. And for this particular group I have no filters running.
pemmel
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:39 pm

Makes me wonder if new data's actually being stored to the header database. When you load the group, do you see the new posts?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby pemmel » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:57 pm

Yes, the new posts show up in the group.. status = idle/new
subject line is light green in color
If i select one and right click and then add to download list it does in fact get added to the DL list. But not on it's own
pemmel
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:05 pm

I don't know then. Why it works for me and not for your. Automode is processed when the records are fed into the database.

Still makes me thing there's something up with the value in the NBI file.

If you edit the NBI file, look for this group, do you see

EnableAutoMode=1

In the section for the group?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Quade » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:22 pm

You know, if the parent folder has a filter set, that filter will apply to the child group.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby dexter » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:22 pm

I'm with Quade on this one, seems to work fine for me. I'd double check to make sure no filters are being applied.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pemmel » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:29 pm

Confirmed
Enableautomode = 1 in this particular group and all groups
pemmel
n00b
n00b

Postby pemmel » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:33 pm

Boy I wish I could do a copy/paste into here so u can see...

I have one group in the unsorted parent group
unsorted parent group = global filter, which I have not changed
single group is alt.binaries.pictures.aviation - auto mode
pemmel
n00b
n00b

Postby dexter » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:50 pm

Is there anything at all in your Global filter? Maybe it wasn't getting applied correctly in 5.59 and now it is.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pemmel » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:53 pm

Global filter = none in all of the drop down choice boxes
On the TABS the enable filter box is NOT checked, all four tabs
pemmel
n00b
n00b

Postby pemmel » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:12 pm

I think the filer option is working just fine. I say this because when I click on a group, the new headers load in and then click on "enable or disable the filters" the headers are trimmed down (hidden) to exactly what the particular filter I select is set for. So the filter option is working at least when viewing the headers inside a group.

It's the "automatic download" check box in group properties that is ignored.

I also checked the failed downloads tab and the files list tab just to be sure they didnt end up there and no luck, they are not on either of these tabs.

It fails for me everytime
pemmel
n00b
n00b

Postby Desfarges » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:24 pm

I will try a new install beside the 5.59 and reset my settings

But the setup program semmes to only allow upgrade type install. Is there a command line option for a new install?
Desfarges
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby dexter » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:02 pm

Only way to get a new install is to totally uninstall Newsbin.
dexter
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Desfarges » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:03 pm

Ok i will make a backup of my previous newsbin folder before uninstall. I will try tomorrow
Desfarges
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby Quade » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:15 pm

I might have to add some logging to figure out what's going on. The code's taking some path for you it's not for me.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Desfarges » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:43 pm

With a clean install it works fine
Desfarges
Active Participant
Active Participant

Postby pemmel » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:57 pm

Quade wrote:I might have to add some logging to figure out what's going on. The code's taking some path for you it's not for me.

I am very willing to help out in anyway I can. I work for a big IT company so your instructions should be easy for me to put in place.
pemmel
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:57 pm

Good to know, but, I wish I knew why.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby pemmel » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:53 am

I have started the process of doing a 100% fresh install of V6.

If no other user is experiencing this then it is a problem over here with me so it makes sense.
pemmel
n00b
n00b

Postby squib308 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:15 am

pemmel wrote:I have started the process of doing a 100% fresh install of V6.

If no other user is experiencing this then it is a problem over here with me so it makes sense.

I'm experiencing the same problem. I just downloaded and 'upgraded' to 6.0 with some apprehension - things were working pretty smoothly under 5.x, so it was with some trepidation I updated to 6.0. The first thing I noted, was it installed into the same directory as 5.x, so I guess I can uninstall and reinstall 5.x if there's a problem, but being able to have run 5.x when 6 wasn't working right would be nice. have been nice.

Anyway, I have a scheduled task that runs newsbin at 3 in the am, with a specific .nbi file. First I was getting some strange message about 5.0, and then I realized the new .exe was named differently, newsbinpro.exe vs the nbpro.exe for the previous versions. Ok, fixed that, and then I got the newsbin screen up, but it didn't download anything. I thought that since I looked at the groups first in 6.0 before turning on auto download, because it seems to have turned itself off, that maybe that was the cause. No, I resaved the .nbi configuration file, in case 6.0 writes something special to it, and it would fire up, but nothing happened.

Next I right clicked a group and discovered the automatic download checkbox, so I checked that one, and then made sure all the rest were check-boxed automatic download. Now they show up under the group list as the 'group name - Auto Mode'. So that should be good, right? No..

I re-double-triple-verified that the Automatic Update Modes checkbox was checked in the options, and it is.

Newsbin will fire up, download the headers for the groups, then just sit there. It doesn't load files into the download queue, nor does it automatically exit, like if it thought it was done.

What's up with this? There's nothing in the logs to indicate automatic mode, AFAIK, it just shows 'high speed file whatever enabled' 'SSL blah blah' 'SSL connection giganews blah blah' various NNTP things, blah blah, and downloads headers for the groups, and then... nothing.. not a thing.

'EnableAutoMode=1' is set for each of the (should be) auto downloading groups in the .nbi file.

I don't know what else to tell you that will help, I'm on xp, 32bit, 5.x worked fine, 6 is being a PITA. :)

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

B

PS. newsbin also decided it would be cute and sort all of the group names that I have in my manually browsed .nbi file. Cute. Funny. Har har. Oh, and it won't let me move them up or down, so I can't manually re-sort them back to the order I want them in. Is there any fix for this cute behavior? I have an allergy to things cute, and so it would be nice to have it, since it already lost my sorting order, let me manually re-sort the group list the way I want.
squib308
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/10/07

Postby squib308 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:24 am

dexter wrote:Is there anything at all in your Global filter? Maybe it wasn't getting applied correctly in 5.59 and now it is.

Oh, and lastest thing - I have two things in my global reject filter, for some username that was spamming groups horribly at one point & I didn't want to see any posts with their 'tag' in the title. The groups I want to auto-download are set for a different filter profile, and that profile exists, and has worked under 5.x previously.

Perhaps if there were to be a few lines of code that logged some of the automatic operations in debug logging it would be easier to troubleshoot. 'automatic download enabled.' 'automatically downloading headers and posts for group xxx' 'automatic download group xxx 21 files rejected due to filter profile 11 new ignored due to 6.0 being weird' 'automatic download group xxx whatever whatever whatever' 'automatic download file wxyzuj.vxy to j:\downloads\alt.binaries.areyoustillreadingmysuggestion'

Two other .nbi things I noticed (are enabled):
UpdateWhenStarted=1 and HeaderUpdateWhenStarted=1

And it does d/l headers, so it's half trying to do what I want.

Thanks in advance! I appreciate it!
B
squib308
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:20 am

I sent someone a debug version to test automode. The messages told me automode was enabled but, the filters were filtering the results out preventing any files from getting sent to the download list. So, at this point I'm leaning towards filters. I'm going to get it under the debugger again and see if I see anything. He fixed it by moving the filters.db3 out of the data folder.

Remember global filters ALWAYS apply.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby squib308 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:04 am

Quade wrote:I sent someone a debug version to test automode. The messages told me automode was enabled but, the filters were filtering the results out preventing any files from getting sent to the download list. So, at this point I'm leaning towards filters. I'm going to get it under the debugger again and see if I see anything. He fixed it by moving the filters.db3 out of the data folder.

Right, got that - my only two global filters were for subject matching 'italiancrack' and 'heavenshallburn1911', but I went ahead and disabled all of my global filters. No change, although when I fire up the .nbi that runs automatically, then loaded up a few of the groups that were supposed to download files automatically, most of them had files in them with the 'new' status, but one group only had them all turned to 'old' status. ? I looked in the preferences, and there was a checkbox in the 'mark articles read (like v4)' checkbox. I woulda thunk it applied to all groups, but didn't, so who knows. I unchecked that guy just in case. You might have to refresh my memory about how the 'mark read' worked in v4.. I can remember 5.x pretty half way ok, but 4.x...er....

Also when I had the individual groups opened up with the auto .nbi i run, I did engage the filters at the top with the 'power' looking button, and then all the posts I was looking to auto download just stayed there on the screen, so, as I understand it, they shouldn't be not-downloaded because if they were going to not-be-downloaded they would have not-shown on the screen when filters enabled. right?

TIA, appreciate it.

B
squib308
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby squib308 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:56 am

Quade wrote:I sent someone a debug version to test automode. The messages told me automode was enabled but, the filters were filtering the results out preventing any files from getting sent to the download list. So, at this point I'm leaning towards filters. I'm going to get it under the debugger again and see if I see anything. He fixed it by moving the filters.db3 out of the data folder.

If that's what I need to do, that's what I'll do, lemme know. It would appear to be something filter related, I have one auto group that I'm looking to actually read the posts, but I want it to try to d/l the 'files' anyway, so it's not supposed to work, and it even has a filter profile assigned to it that doesn't exist (? 'notsmall' is the filter that is supposed to filter out <10k long posts.. but doesn't exist in the options/filter options..), and newsbin _does_ try to d/l the 'files' from that group. (which it never will, but that's intentional) So I assume it's not applying any filter except the global filter, and that's working.

The filters I have to auto-d/l files are usually reject filters, ie. the accept subject filter is not checked, only the reject. Same for accept/reject files.

Perhaps something to do with the auto mode and something it doesn't like about the filters that isn't apparent when just running it normally...I don't think my filters.db3 file is corrupted - I was able to open it and poke around with some database utility I think I found on your site (?), and everything looked kosher. Maybe there's something different in the 5.x upgraded filters.db3 file that 6.0 doesn't like and 6.0 creates them differently, so if you nuke the filters.db3 and re-write them they're fine..? Dunno..

(subject reject: auto content cash; make money; dutch; etc) (filename reject: \.avi; \.avi.exe; \.avi.scr; etc...) (#@$&^ing spammers)

FWIW, I tried changing the auto-download filter profile to 'none' and clearing the use profile box for one group, then exiting, restarting, and it didn't work for that one group. I'll mess around with it some more some other time when I've got mroe time to kill, but if you happen to know the answer and it's 'nuke the filters.db3 file, that's the only way.' then I'll do it to it.

Thanks,
B
squib308
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Bavaria R » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:49 pm

Same problem with me... upgraded from 5,59 to 6.0 and Auto Add to Download list does not add anything to this list. I have filters, but they are the same as in 5.59 but also files which do not match the negative filter do not appear... nothing does appear. I need to go through each group and select the last 3 days and CTRL E them to the download list... pretty annoying.

And one more remark. I tried to "re" enable the auto download first by just changing the setting of the group category / cluster and hoped it would apply the Auto Download automatically to each contained element... but no nothing happened then I changed to enabling it for each group individually, but nothing happen either.

I do not want to reinstall from scratch!
Bavaria R
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/10/03

Postby Quade » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:32 pm

I have a new theory

Code: Select all
if( FAILED(hFilter))
{
   string_t   sParent;
   TheGroupsList().NG_GetParent(sGroup,sParent);
   if( !sParent.empty())
   {
      //
      // See if a filter profile is set for this parent
      //
      string_t   sFilter;
      HRESULT hr = ReadConfig(sParent,("FilterProfile"),sFilter);
      if( SUCCEEDED(hr) && !sFilter.empty())
      {
         vect_filterprofileiter_t   pLocal;
         hFilter = TheFilters().FindFilter(sFilter,pLocal);
         if( SUCCEEDED(hFilter))
         {
            Filter.FT_SetLocalFilter(&(*pLocal));
         }
      }
   }
}

If Newsbin can't find a filter profile for the group, it checks to see if the parent has a filter profile and uses the parent filter. How about seeing if the parent has a filter set and if it does, consider removing/disabling it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Bavaria R » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:02 am

It defintly might be that their is a problem with filter groups and interference between parents filter settings...

- first I noticed that some of my groups had strange filter settings I was not aware of ever having set earlier on in V5... so I think their might also be in issue with migration of the settings
- second their is a strange behaviour if in the group detail display window if I toggle the button for applying the group filtering the first time back and forth suddenly new posts appear, generally caught be a filter and they are then displayed as red and even others messages appear that where not seen before, probably caught by the wrong filter setting

So it seems to be a good track to look into this filtering stuff... their is still something wrong with it.

I let you know if I come to new conclusions
Bavaria R
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:50 am

I removed parent inheritance for automode in the next beta. Parent inheritance for the display is still in place.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Bavaria R » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:57 am

I am now on v6.01 B1 build 1127 and the problem seems not solved for me. I have unchecked all filtering in all the groups and group classes but NB is not correctly adding all new files to the downloadlist when having updated the groups. To get hold of the new messgaes, I need to manually display the group message list , filter the old ones and select and ad the rest to the downloadlist.... very cumbersome.
Bavaria R
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby squib308 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:07 am

I dunno what I did, I certainly didn't nuke my filters, but something I did made it work all of the sudden. !? I heard my computer beeping away around 3 in the morning (the time I have newsbin set to auto d/l stuff; I also have a bandwidth meter that beeps every <x> (mega)bytes transferred), and checked it out, and it was downloading a bunch of stuff (a few gigs). I was surprised, but pleased.

Unfortunately I can't tell you what I did that made it work, and it appeared to be working with the old filters.

No - wait, looking at it, I set filters for that group to be 'None' and the rest I left alone, so it's probably NOT getting the other groups. Grr. But it did get the one group I set to 'none'. However, when I was testing the auto d/l, and I set the filter profile for that one group to 'none', and firing newsbin up in auto mode, it did _not_ start downloading stuff, so maybe it missed a week or so of old stuff that it already had headers for. ? Do the headers have to be new in order for the auto mode to stick the files in the queue?

So the global filter was not the issue, or else it would have made that group miss the files when in auto mode, again. Unless 'none' overrides the global filter. Besides, my global filter now has none of the boxes checkmarked, so it shouldn't be, and shouldn't have, caused any problems anyway. Something else is going on.

Also one time I went into a group and it looked as if newsbin marked all the posts as 'old', so i turned off the option 'mark as old (like v4)' in the preferences. Pretty sure it's not going to d/l those automatically now for any reason.

Hope this helps..
squib308
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:04 am

Unlike 5.X, poster lockouts also apply during automode. I wonder if your poster lockouts are filtering out automode?

Also one time I went into a group and it looked as if newsbin marked all the posts as 'old', so i turned off the option 'mark as old (like v4)' in the preferences. Pretty sure it's not going to d/l those automatically now for any reason.

Keep in mind, you get one pass at automode. When you download headers, it's only the updated headers that get considered for download. Automode doesn't revisit the old headers so, old or new doesn't matter.

Maybe I'll try even more logging and see what you guys see. Logging is costly so, it'll only be in a special version.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby MSWallack » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:40 pm

Just wanted to echo the others reporting that auto doesn't work. Upgraded from 5.59 to 6.00. Everything else seems to be working fine. I've checked (and unchecked and re-checked) the auto button but still no luck.
---Michael S. Wallack
MSWallack
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/03/03

Postby Quade » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:50 pm

http://www.newsbin.com/downloads/nb601B2.exe

Try this one. Set the log level to "Debug" in the advanced tab and try a group. Then look atthe log tab for filter errors. Automode works fine here so, there's something specific about your setup preventing it from working.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby squib308 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:22 am

Quade wrote:http://www.newsbin.com/downloads/nb601B2.exe

Try this one. Set the log level to "Debug" in the advanced tab and try a group. Then look atthe log tab for filter errors. Automode works fine here so, there's something specific about your setup preventing it from working.

Trying.. Ok, I see stuff like:
DEBUG Checking autodownload: alt.binaries.whatever
DEBUG Autodownload enabled: alt.binaries.whatever
HIGH - Autodownload File Filtered out 012344556789 blahlbalhblahlblah [071511]
DEBUG - Autodownload Added: 0 Out of 4

I also see a number of
DEBUG Download List - Duplicate Insert to Download List: blahlblahlblahlblhahlbahl
And I assume those are because I'm downloading a bunch of similar groups that someone may have either crossposted, or posted in each group individually..? And it (NB) is trying to not download the same file a bunch of times.

It's a little hard to tell which group is saying autodownload file filtered out xxxx blahblah [number], and then the autodownload added: x out of y, simply because there's a lot it's trying to do at the same time. Anyway, I hope you get something out of it. I'm still unclear as to the problem, because I do not have any 'filename accept' checkboxed for the filter, and although I do have 'filename reject' checkboxed, the only things in it are \.avi.exe \.avi.scr and a couple others. Nevertheless, I will try unchecking the 'filename reject' box for the filters and see if it works. I also have no global filters at all checkmarked. I don't think that the .avi.scr or .exe whatever has been a thing the malware kidz have been putting out there, and I'm not dumb enough to try to open a .avi.exe file anyway (.avi files shouldn't be in the groups I'm trying to get anyway, so I definitely would be suspicious if I ran across one for any reason..)

So am I on the right track thinking it could be a reject filename issue at least? (hope hope)

Thanks for all your work! And for setting me straight about how the auto download thing works - you get one chance to auto the files, and once the headers are d/led, if it didn't auto them the first time, it ignores them in the future. Important to know when testing the auto feature.

B

PS when you say that 'logging is costly' I assume you mean performance wise, or memory utilization wise? Seems like it wouldn't be a whole lot in addition to what the program is already doing - downloading headers, downloading posts, sticking them into files, pasting them together, decoding them, sticking them in the dupe check, writing them or renaming them to a different name, etc... but, I'm sure you are far more conversant with what makes NB slow than I am. Just curious. (yeah, I heard about the cat and curiosity, but the cat was _dumb_ :)
squib308
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:33 am

Is that the real filter number?

Give me the real filter number and I'll tell you which filter is hitting.

Too Small - 2147528705
Too Big - 2147528706
Filename- 2147528707
Subject - 2147528708
Old - 2147528709
Downloaded - 2147528710
Incomplete - 2147528711
Poster Lockout - 2147528712
Crosspost - 2147528713

For trouble-shooting, you should do one group at a time. Anything displayed to the screen is costly from a performance stand point. Writing the logs to disk only for instance is essentially free.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby squib308 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:43 pm

Here's a direct copy/paste
[17:27:43] HIGH - Autodownload File Filtered out 2147500036 (?Lingerie.Insight.Magazine.July.2011.pdf[0/1] - "LingerieInsight201107.nzbLingerie.Insight.Magazine.July.2011" yEnc

Which is the same message (but different subject) for all the others that are getting skipped. Now, not that I need lingerie insight magazine, in fact, a subject reject filter of 'magazine' might be in order, but I would like many of the other files it's skipping. I think. It looks like it did auto dl some stuff over the last couple days, which is good, so it's possible that now the files it's skipping are due to a size filter. In which case I probably don't want them, as they don't contain files. But I aint sure, see...

I have put all the groups I auto dl on the same filter profile, so that it's kinda like I'm doing one group at a time, but if you need me to disable all the other ones to figure out what's going on, I can do so. I just want it to work like normal, run in the middle of the night in the background, and not worry if it's working or not.

Thanks again,
b
squib308
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:32 pm

Exit newsbin, move the filter.db3 file out of the data folder. Use search to make sure there's not more than one, then try again. I've told you from the get go that it's your filters and that's what Newsbin's telling you too.

Another thing you can do is load this group into a post list. Enable the filters and then select the global and then the local filter you use for automode one at a time one at a time.. The only files Newsbin will try to download, are the ones shown after you select global and then local. If you don't see any or it looks like global, filters out some and the other filters filter out the rest then there's your problem. It's clearly the filters blocking the downloads.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

SOLVED: Auto mode doesn't seem to work

Postby Bavaria R » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:44 pm

The hint with deleting the filter.db3 file and starting the filter settings all over again after restart of Newsbin solved the problem with my 6.01B1 installation. Since then, Auto mode is working as expected. I guess the update from V5 does somehow have problems with some settings with this filter.db3 file :lol: :mrgreen:
Bavaria R
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: SOLVED: Auto mode doesn't seem to work

Postby squib308 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:24 am

[quote="Bavaria R"][b]The hint with deleting the filter.db3 file and starting the filter settings all over again after restart of Newsbin solved the problem with my 6.01B1 installation. Since then, Auto mode is working as expected. I guess the update from V5 does somehow have problems with some settings with this filter.db3 file[/b] :lol: :mrgreen:[/quote]

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing, also. I dunno what it was from the previous filters that was causing everything to hose up, but there was something. It took a fair amount of time, but I re-created my filters I had previously in v5, in v6, and everything was fine. So even though the filters looked the same, there was something obviously not displaying that would block the auto download. PITA
squib308
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby andy » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:20 am

I had this problem for a month, then looked here and got reminded of filters. Turned out the switch from v5.xx to v6 changed my filters. When I deleted a bunch of nonsensible filename reject filters. Now A-OK.
andy
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/04/03

Postby Quade » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:22 am

That's good.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support