Cant Move Items in Download List

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Cant Move Items in Download List

Postby tuckerr200 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:05 pm

I am using version 6 final. I tried to move items up and down the download list and it will not work?

I just wanted to say that I really like the new interface!!!
tuckerr200
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 01/21/08

Re: Cant Move Items in Download List

Postby Quade » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:41 am

You can move sets of items but, not items within the set. What are you trying to move?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby tuckerr200 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:58 pm

I wanted to move the par files to the top of the expanded list. But I could not. I also noticed that if I paused all the items in the list except for the items at the bottom, the par files. One of the items at the bottom of the list would download, then Newsbin would restart the paused files at the top of the list.

It would be nice if you had more control over the expanded file list.

1. Priority, choose the only the files you want to download from the list.
2. Move Items up and down the list.
3. Better control of what is paused and resumed for download, settings don't stay.

Thank You
Rick Tucker
tuckerr200
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:04 pm

You're trying to micromanage something that's intended to be automatic. Why don't you just let it download?

The intent is to add a set to download, download one par, download the files and then repair and unrar. All without you touching it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby tuckerr200 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:21 am

That's a pretty shitty response.

The things I talked about, you could do in the old NewsBin, Why not now? I think that you need to take a look at your attitude.
tuckerr200
n00b
n00b

Postby DThor » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:08 am

Things change, if it could be used exactly the same way, best to not bother updating and just keep using the old version, yes? You might see it as a bad attitude, but it's the truth , you are trying to micro-manage the process. I believe the purpose of the question was to ascertain why you want to do that. It's faster now, uses significantly less memory, and for the majority of users, it's far more hands -off. There are still a lot of ways to get at things, but shuffling pars? If you'd ask, you'd be told it's not necessary. Newsbin handles all that for you, no need to shuffle them around. It conceptualizes pars into the matching primary download.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby Quade » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:05 am

That's a pretty shitty response.

I'm simply telling you 6 wasn't written to work the way you want to work. That being the case, 5.59 might be a better choice.

You can make 6 work like 5.59 if you really want to. Expand the files in the post lists, select the individual files and add them as a group of files instead of as a single set. It's not clear to me how well autopar will work. It should work properly. You might have to manually manage the par files though.

You've not really explained why you want to micromanage this stuff. If it's a generally applicable reason, I might add code.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby Ribble » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:03 pm

Pause entries and selectively unpause.

I like to micro-manage the par2 files. Just a habit so Newsbin doesn't download 43 par2 when I need 1 par2
or download 42 par2 total when I can download one 43 par2 file. Still watching how 6.0 1019 handles par2's.
Ribble
Active Participant
Active Participant

Registered Newsbin User since: 05/04/09

Postby Quade » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:27 am

Same answer. You can manage them by hand but, you'll have to expand and add them to the download list as files, not sets of files.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby thuvia » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:17 pm

Quade's suggestion of adding the PARs separately doesn't fit my workflow either.

With V5, I would typically add a bunch of stuff from various post lists to download (closing them as I go), then use a download lists search filter to select certain useful small files to the top of the list (including .par2 files), then fire up QuickPar on the .par2 files to monitor progress. If the first couple of parts clearly have way too many incompletes, I can cancel the download only a fraction through.

I've never used AutoPAR, but I gave it a spin with V6 and it still lacks control/visibility for me (and seems to download unwanted PARs into the bargain).

Likewise I never used AutoUNRAR but gave it a try in V6, and again don't like it - for a download from NZB I don't want any extra subdirs created (moving files to parent is a pain in Windows), but if I turn it off other downloads overwrite each other with files of the same name. Also, even from the same GoG, some things I unpack to different local or network drives (and it's a waste of time and electricity to unpack them to the download folder first!).

It seems you're focusing too much on making NewsBin all-singing, all-dancing, but I prefer to have a set of best-of-breed single-function utilities working together.
thuvia
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/01/06

Postby thuvia » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:02 pm

Aargh, now I've turned off AutoPAR and NewsBin 6 downloads *all* PARs again. Major regression, unless I've missed a new option.
thuvia
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/01/06

Postby SupersonicCow » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:55 pm

As someone as also said on this thread, V6 looks gorgeous - makes v5 look very amateur (no offence meant to v5).

I like to download the last .rar file, open it to make sure that it's not a pasword protected file (incl link to spam site). Assuming that's ok, I downloar the .par file and load that into QuickPar. I'd really like to continue to do it like that.
However, if I can't change the order in which the files within a download are downloaded, can the option (right-click) be removed to avoid confusion?

thanks
SupersonicCow
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/05/05

Postby Quade » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:00 pm

How are you downloading? NZB, Search or headers?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby SupersonicCow » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:17 pm

Search (I do this for 99.9% of my downloads)

thanks
SupersonicCow
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:20 pm

You can hit the + sign in the search window to expand, add just the files you want and if you want the rest, just add the rest of the set to the download list. It won't re-download the files you already downloaded. You might need to turn off the dup checker or hit Ctrl-Y to make this work. 6.1 has an encrypted file filter too (advanced options) so, you can simply add to the download list and the encrypted ones will fail to the failed list.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby SupersonicCow » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:46 pm

Thanks Quade.
TBH, I'll probably just let it work as it currently does as it's quicker/easier but I appreciate the guidance.

thanks
SupersonicCow
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Return to V6 Technical Support