Mark last download issue

Technical support and discussion of Newsbin Version 6 series.

Mark last download issue

Postby exhoarder » Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:38 am

I've run into a problem, and hope that I can be pointed in the right direction. Apologies if I use an incorrect terms, I will try to be as descriptive as I can.

Before 6.90 RC1, I would get the latest headers for my groups, which would pull all the headers down since the last time I checked, go through the posts (in either a GoG or single group), and then "Delete all Posts", clearing the groups. Next time I would repeat the same process, and the amount of posts would constantly be whatever got past the filters since the last time I checked. With RC1, even following the above process, Newsbin would go back to some point in time and get headers that I have deleted and redisplay them, causing the time "Download the Latest Group Updates" to get longer and longer.

I've updated to RC2, with seemingly no change, and saw another post where it was recommended to remove and rebuild the DownloadMarker files, but that hasn't changed anything either. I don't think it is a problem with the RCs, I think it is something that was weird on my end, but it correlates to the install of RC1, so I think something that RC1 tried update was messed up on my end, and RC1 couldn't handle it, and did the best it could.

Any advice on how to resolve would be greatly appreciated!
exhoarder
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/06/12

Re: Mark last download issue

Postby Quade » Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:12 pm

Where are you selecting "Delete all" from? From the post listing right click or the list of groups?

Your symptoms seem to be different than the prior report.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby exhoarder » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:49 pm

Quade wrote:Where are you selecting "Delete all" from? From the post listing right click or the list of groups?

Your symptoms seem to be different than the prior report.

I had customized my toolbar to have a command for "Delete All posts" as a button, and I will click that button while within the header lists.
exhoarder
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:36 pm

"Delete all Posts" deletes the folder that contained the headers. It also deletes the file that tracks the last header download. Depending on the "download age" it'll then re-download "download age" worth of headers next time you download headers from the group. If "Download age" is small then that probably won't take long but its larger it might take a significant amount of time to re-download. It's inherently slow and wasteful since you re-download the same headers over and over.

I don't honestly remember whether 6.82 purges the group or simply deleted the posts. I'm inclined to think it just deleted the stored posts and not the post history.

I just made the change. Should be up soon. Like by Friday I mean.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby exhoarder » Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:10 am

Quade wrote:"Delete all Posts" deletes the folder that contained the headers. It also deletes the file that tracks the last header download. Depending on the "download age" it'll then re-download "download age" worth of headers next time you download headers from the group. If "Download age" is small then that probably won't take long but its larger it might take a significant amount of time to re-download. It's inherently slow and wasteful since you re-download the same headers over and over.

I don't honestly remember whether 6.82 purges the group or simply deleted the posts. I'm inclined to think it just deleted the stored posts and not the post history.

I just made the change. Should be up soon. Like by Friday I mean.

I just want to make sure that I understand, are you saying that there might have been a change to how the "Delete all Posts" worked between 6.82 and 6.90 RC1? It also sounds like I'm not doing this properly (no surprise there). Outside of my use of the Delete all Posts button, what is the proper way to delete posts I no longer want?
exhoarder
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:17 am

There wasn't an intentional change in how it works. I don't have 6.82 installed to note what the old behavior was.

You explained what your process was and from that I determined that a "delete all" that wipes out the history of the last header download isn't probably what you want. So I added a new form of "delete all".

- The "delete all" from the group listing will continue to wipe the group completely.

- The "delete all" from the post listing right click and menu will delete the headers but keep the thing that tracks the current download pointer so a subsequent header download will only pull new headers.

Re-downloading the headers over and over which is what the old "delete all" would trigger is never a good idea. So the new way gives you both a wipe of the headers and no-redownload of headers on the subsequent pull.

I never use the post list "delete all" so, how it works is pretty much up to the the people who use it. You explained how you want to work and I'm accommodating you. Your method makes sense if you don't want to maintain a historical record of the group.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Postby exhoarder » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:28 am

Quade wrote:I never use the post list "delete all" so, how it works is pretty much up to the the people who use it. You explained how you want to work and I'm accommodating you. Your method makes sense if you don't want to maintain a historical record of the group.

Well thank you very much for that Quade, I appreciate you taking the time to do so.
exhoarder
n00b
n00b

Postby exhoarder » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:17 am

With RC3, the behavior was back to how I expected it. Thank you very much for making the adjustment!
exhoarder
n00b
n00b

Postby Quade » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:07 pm

That's good to know. Thanks.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Return to V6 Technical Support