Moving Data Files to different drive (?)

This is the place for people switching to Newsbin from other newsreaders, or for people evaluating Newsbin who are already experienced Usenet users. If your old newsreader had a feature you liked that Newsbin doesn't, tell us about it.
Forum rules
- No discussion of specific content found on Usenet.
- Be nice to others. Trolls and Flamers will be banned at our discretion
- No advertising for other newsreaders, products, or services.

Moving Data Files to different drive (?)

Postby MrMonoxide » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:03 am

Hello.

I'm a long time Forte Agent User. I'm about to get a new Windows 10 computer and I'd like to change over to 64bit Newsbin Pro.

My question/concern is as follows: With my current 8 year old PC I discovered that my C: drive is almost full due to Agent's huge data files. After researching, it seems that you can designate a different (higher capacity) drive for Agent's data files. As I am totally unfamiliar with Newsbin, I have no idea if this is a problem with Newsbin.

Because the new computer will have a relatively small SSD drive as the C: boot drive, I'd like to keep Newsbin's EXE file on that drive, but designate one of the 6TB hard-drives as the location for any data files which contain headers, downloads, etc.

Is the above possible?

Thanks for any help with this.
MrMonoxide
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Re: Moving Data Files to different drive (?)

Postby Quade » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:57 am

Sure. Easiest way is to do a default install. Run Newsbin, then in the options select "Open Data Folder". Then close Newsbin.

There should be a file in this folder called "Newsbin.nbi". Edit it with wordpad, then in the

[SETTINGS]
DataPath=X:\Newsbin\

Change this setting to point to your big drive.

This works best if you do it early. You CAN move an existing large data folder but it's a bit more work.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby MrMonoxide » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:52 pm

Beautiful!

Oh, just one more thing occurred to me with regard to the process you described above:

After I edit the .nbi file to point to the new hard-drive, do I need to manually create a new folder/file on that drive, or does Newsbin do that automatically?

Thank you for the explanation - appreciate it.
MrMonoxide
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Postby Quade » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:10 pm

Well, it SHOULD make the folder but if it doesn't you can always manually make it.
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby syrist » Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:50 pm

Quade wrote:Sure. Easiest way is to do a default install. Run Newsbin, then in the options select "Open Data Folder". Then close Newsbin.

There should be a file in this folder called "Newsbin.nbi". Edit it with wordpad, then in the

[SETTINGS]
DataPath=X:\Newsbin\

Change this setting to point to your big drive.

This works best if you do it early. You CAN move an existing large data folder but it's a bit more work.

Thanks! I'm trying to keep everything to a single SSD.
syrist
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/11/03

Return to Immigrants from other Newsreaders