Speed issues tonight or has my ISP capped me?

Forum for PowerUsenet Discussion and Support.

Speed issues tonight or has my ISP capped me?

Postby macintod » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:04 am

Anyone aware of Powerusenet (or Giganews for that matter) having speed issues tonight? Was hauling ass earlier today but later this evening my speeds totally dropped to 1.5Mbps with 4 connections going. I usually max out my 6Mbps pipe with 3 connections.

I'm wondering if Comcast has capped my newsgroup speeds. I've tried ports 23, 80, and 119 and I can't get any faster than 1.5Mbps. I did a live chat with a Comcast rep and he asked if I was ONLY experiencing slow speeds with the newsgroups. I said "Yes" and he pointed the finger at Giganews. I didn't bother to tell him I also subscribe to Powerusenet hoping to somehow stay under any radar if it was in fact turned on.

I had this same problem a week ago and right as I was describing the problem to a tech in a live chat my speeds totally went back to normal. I don't know if it was just good timing or what, but when I asked what he did to my account he said he didn't touch a thing.

If Comcast has in fact capped my newsgroup speed access, what is the best line to take with them when I inquire about it? I can't even get good speeds on the 2GB/month Giganews account I get for free. Any suggestions?
macintod
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/27/04

Postby Quade » Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:40 am

How much have you downloaded this month?
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby macintod » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:54 pm

approx. 175GB so far this month. I usually hit about 200GB/mo. depending on how much I dig around.
macintod
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/27/04

Return to PowerUsenet