HOWTO: LINUX MINT 11 AND NEWSBIN

While it isn't officially supported, we have many users who successfully run NewsBin under Linux with a Windows emulator (Wine is the most popular). This forum exists for you Linux guys to share your experience getting NewsBin running on Linux as well as report any strangeness that we may or may not be able to fix. DThor is the resident expert.

Moderators: Quade, dexter, newsraider, DThor

HOWTO: LINUX MINT 11 AND NEWSBIN

Postby newsraider » Fri May 16, 2008 4:17 am

1. we will install wine first. go to Mint Menu - Software Manager - type "wine" in search bar and install

2. right click your newsbinpro.exe file and select "open with windows wine program loader"

3. that's it!! newsbin should be working. :mrgreen:

notes: i always like to use the latest version of wine. you can do that by going to this page
http://www.winehq.org/download/ubuntu and adding wine to your software sources.
should give you the option to install the latest version. :P
Last edited by newsraider on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 6 times in total.
newsraider
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/13/06

nb522 wont install

Postby mtnwalker2b » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:56 am

I followed your instructions above. Using Ubuntu 8.10 downloaded Wine and installed. Clicked on the installer said Open with- Custom then typed wine. Get error message about being unable to elevate permissions to administrator and the installer unloads. However on my second machine these instructions worked perfectly. I really need Newsbin to work. What else can I try?
mtnwalker2b
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/28/04

Postby newsraider » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:17 am

sounds like you don't have permission with your user account maybe? how many users accounts on your machine. the wine install went ok though?
newsraider
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby mtnwalker2b » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:37 am

There is only one user acct on either machine. I am using wine all the time on the one that rejected Newsbin. So Im stumped.
mtnwalker2b
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 07/28/04

Postby newsraider » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:04 pm

so other programs will install in wine? just not newsbin?
newsraider
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

It works on Ubuntu now!

Postby huanhuan19 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:38 pm

Thanks and I use Ubuntu 9.04, the latest version and installed Wine following the instruction on Wine official instruction. Now Newsbin works perfectly on Ubuntu OS.

Thanks,
Thanks a lot!
huanhuan19
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 08/07/09

Re: It works on Ubuntu now!

Postby newsraider » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:04 am

huanhuan19 wrote:Thanks and I use Ubuntu 9.04, the latest version and installed Wine following the instruction on Wine official instruction. Now Newsbin works perfectly on Ubuntu OS.

Thanks,

no problem :D
newsraider
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby sdavmor » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:39 pm

I upgraded to Ubuntu 10.4 Beta 2 (64 bit) yesterday, and for a lark decided to see how quickly I could bring Newsbin 5.55 build 9762 up using the latest release of Wine. One hour later I'm downloading headers, downloading files, etc.

I must say that I am very impressed with how snappy everything is. Even with the Wine layer the performance is very good, on par with a native app, except when starting up with nothing else running in Wine. Though maybe having a quad-code box has something to do with it..

I was previously running Newsbin on Ubuntu 9.10 using VirtualBox. But the performance is so good through Wine that I'm going to leave it here and remove it from Virtualbox.

System config. AMD Phenom IV core 920. A Gigabyte MB < 1 year old (sorry, don't recall the ID number). 8*gb of DDR-2 800 memory. 4*1.5TB Seagate Barracuda drives. Linux 2.6.32-19-generic 64bit kernel.

Keep up the good work, guys. Newsbin is the gold standard IMO for binary harvesters.
sdavmor
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/08/04

Postby DThor » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:11 am

Good to hear you got it working in that environment. Yeah, for many sorts of apps, wine is perfectly fine, you might get the odd graphical glitch, but speed-wise and certainly for convenience, firing it up there beats more elaborate and bloated VMs.

I'm running on a pretty snappy 8 core system, and really, it runs much faster than my windows box(which is admittedly less tricked out, but not too shabby either).

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

WUBI 9.1 - "newest" WINE seems ok....NB534 no joy

Postby Leyden » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:51 pm

Is trying to run a Windoze install of NB using WINE a no-no.....sure looks like it.....NB asks for reg info and lets me config a server, then locks when I try to get groups.
Leyden
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 06/24/04

Postby sdavmor » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:04 pm

I've been running NB on Wine on Ubuntu continuously for the last few weeks. Works great. I'm using Giganews for my news service FWIW.
sdavmor
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/08/04

Re: WUBI 9.1 - "newest" WINE seems ok....NB534 no

Postby newsraider » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:04 am

Leyden wrote:Is trying to run a Windoze install of NB using WINE a no-no.....sure looks like it.....NB asks for reg info and lets me config a server, then locks when I try to get groups.

did you install wine from the ubuntu repo's or from the wine site? try a different version. does it only lock when downloading groups?
newsraider
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Re: HOWTO: UBUNTU AND NEWSBIN

Postby AWEV » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:29 pm

newsraider wrote:1. we will install wine first. go to Applications - Software Center - type "wine" in search bar and install.

2. right click your newsbinpro.exe file and select "open with windows wine program loader"

3. that's it!! newsbin should be working. 8)

Might I add something:

1.5 - in your GUI-based file manager right click and select properties. In the properties box select the permissions tab and make sure the Executable box is checked. Note: you can do the same from a terminal, just "sudo chmod 755 newbinpro.exe" - without the quotes, and don't forget to enter your password.

That little bit seems to give me the most problems. I download something, and forget to set the proper permissions. I hope this saves someone else a headache or two.
Mike (aka AWEV)
AWEV
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/04/03

Postby Xenophon » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:59 am

thx all works)
Xenophon
n00b
n00b

Postby newsraider » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:35 pm

AWEV wrote:
newsraider wrote:1. we will install wine first. go to Applications - Software Center - type "wine" in search bar and install.

3. that's it!! newsbin should be working. 8)

Might I add something:

1.5 - in your GUI-based file manager right click and select properties. In the properties box select the permissions tab and make sure the Executable box is checked. Note: you can do the same from a terminal, just "sudo chmod 755 newbinpro.exe" - without the quotes, and don't forget to enter your password.

That little bit seems to give me the most problems. I download something, and forget to set the proper permissions. I hope this saves someone else a headache or two.

late reply. i did notice later on ubuntu made you change the permissions on the exe files. im not sure if they do this anymore? i know linux mint doesnt on 11.
newsraider
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Re: HOWTO: LINUX MINT 11 AND NEWSBIN

Postby DThor » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:09 pm

I'm suspecting this is a formality/nicety to allow you to simply run exe files, they are associated with wine, they fire up. I'm quite sure on any distro, the exe executable bit doesn't need to be set if you're running 'wine foo.exe' or you've assigned a shortcut to do that.

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Return to Linux