down again :(

While it isn't officially supported, we have many users who successfully run NewsBin under Linux with a Windows emulator (Wine is the most popular). This forum exists for you Linux guys to share your experience getting NewsBin running on Linux as well as report any strangeness that we may or may not be able to fix. DThor is the resident expert.

Moderators: Quade, dexter, newsraider, DThor

down again :(

Postby newsraider » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:15 pm

can't get newsbin open. i hit it and nothing happens hit the shortcut again and it tells me that another newsbin config is already running. this is just like when i didn't have the right dll files. but it was working and don't remember changing anything?

tried updating to the latest version and still a no go.

any ideas?
newsraider
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/13/06

Postby Quade » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:43 pm

Kill that wine session and start over. Newsbin uses a pipe to tell it if another instance is running. You either have another instance or the named pipe doesn't go away when Newsbin exits (like it does in windows).
Quade
Eternal n00b
Eternal n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 10/24/97

Postby newsraider » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:03 pm

yeah i keep closing the wine session and trying to reopen newsbin but it won't open at all.

we don't need the windows dlls anymore right?

should i take them out?
newsraider
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby newsraider » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:33 pm

ok fixed!!

i went ahead and renamed my old newsbin folder and did clean install of newsbin and it opened fine. i guess i was due for a clean install. been doing upgrades for almost a year now.
newsraider
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby DThor » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:07 pm

For future issues, be aware that sometimes wine can get hung up on iexplore. You actually need to hunt down and kill the iexplore and any wine servers before trying to run any other wine program. Doesn't matter that you didn't explicitly ask to run it, sometimes NB triggers it(haven't been able to figure out why - probably related to MOTD - even though it's disabled! - and wine's config).

Doesn't happen all that much, just thought that might have been the case here and you missed it.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby newsraider » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:15 pm

yeah i was going through my system monitor looking for anything to do with wine or newsbin and i was only able to find newsbin to kill it. didn't see explorer in there either.

my 5 other wine programs all opened up fine.

i also have my motd disabled.
newsraider
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby newsraider » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:13 am

lol ok i spoke too soon :roll:

i am starting to have the same problem after newsbin crashed. it's doing the same thing where it just won't open and when i try to open it twice it tells me the config is already running.

i should bring up i dont think it's the problem, but i just started using this avant manager it's a mac type dock and im using compiz now. i added a little eye candy :D i also switched to xfce from gnome also. but even when i go back without the eye candy and back to gnome it still doesn't work?

but like i said i did a clean install and it was back up running. i opened and closed it 5 times without any problems until it crashed.

dthor are you using the latest version of newsbin?
newsraider
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Postby newsraider » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:08 pm

ok now i am backup kinda.

i been reading the last couple days around and found a chat about nvidia drivers messing up wine. so i disabled the wine windows manager and it now loads, but check out the picture on this. it makes some ugly icon on the desktop which stays on top of everything.

Image[/img]
newsraider
Seasoned User
Seasoned User

Return to Linux