Bit the bullet and installed

While it isn't officially supported, we have many users who successfully run NewsBin under Linux with a Windows emulator (Wine is the most popular). This forum exists for you Linux guys to share your experience getting NewsBin running on Linux as well as report any strangeness that we may or may not be able to fix. DThor is the resident expert.

Moderators: Quade, dexter, newsraider, DThor

Bit the bullet and installed

Postby captn_howdy » Sun May 21, 2006 6:06 am

I never wanted to install wine, just didn't seem right. Well now I'm kicking myself in the ass for not doing this sooner. I was using Pan and BNR2, which aren't all that bad as long as you've never used Newsbin Pro :P

If someone's keeping a record of what works on what -

Ubuntu Dapper, latest wine beta (from wine HQ) 0.9.13, I set it up with Wine Tools, and installed all of the english options in Wine tools. And threw in quickpar for Newsbin's autorar function.

As far as I can tell everything except MOTD works. Only problem I've noticed is the screen redraw. Which is easily fixed with a minimize/maximize. Small RAM footprint of 50-60MB with ~300,000 header groups. The spool file seems to load faster, along with the search, when compared to Windows XP and NTFS.
captn_howdy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/18/03

Postby itimpi » Sun May 21, 2006 6:18 am

MOTD needs IE to be present which is probably why that is not working!
The Newsbin Online documentation
The Usenettools for tutorials, useful information and links
itimpi
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 03/28/03

Postby DThor » Sun May 21, 2006 9:00 am

winetools should give you the option to install that, and Notepad too for that matter(useful for reading posts).

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby rein » Mon May 22, 2006 3:11 am

MOTD works fine here (latest cvs wine) without IE installed.
rein
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 02/11/03

Postby DThor » Mon May 22, 2006 10:12 am

You're right - it's that dcom thingie that allows the MOTD. Most wine installs require a separate install for that, though(unless the latest versions have changed - MS distribution issue). Again, wine tools should help.

DT
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby captn_howdy » Mon May 22, 2006 10:32 am

Notepad works fine ;)

MOTD doesn't work for me, because I don't want, and don't have IE completely installed. I presently don't have another use for Wine, other than Newsbin Pro and quick par.

But yes Wine Tools does give the option to install IE. You can even run Windows Update from inside wine :P
captn_howdy
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/18/03

Postby immudium » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:10 am

A little late to the party, but I feel it's worth mentioning that it isn't necessary to install IE at all in order to get MOTD. Simply installing a win32 version of Firefox 1.5 should do the trick. However, even that isn't really necessary, just the simplest method. You can also get the MOTD by installing an ActiveX dll (which is just what win32 Firefox does). Or to be more specific, download mozcontrol.tgz from Transgaming.com
Then run
Code: Select all
tar -xzvf mozcontrol.tgz -C ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/mozcontrol/
regsvr32 mozctlx.dll

This has worked for me for the past several iterations of wine over the past year or so. I am now on 0.9.15. I hope that's useful to someone.

Regards
immudium
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 11/14/03

Return to Linux