NewsbinPro5 in Wine Works Great - Extraneous Messages??

While it isn't officially supported, we have many users who successfully run NewsBin under Linux with a Windows emulator (Wine is the most popular). This forum exists for you Linux guys to share your experience getting NewsBin running on Linux as well as report any strangeness that we may or may not be able to fix. DThor is the resident expert.

Moderators: Quade, dexter, newsraider, DThor

NewsbinPro5 in Wine Works Great - Extraneous Messages??

Postby CarbonTi » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:10 am

Following the instructions on installing Newsbin from the How-To in this section. Newsbin is working very well under Wine 0.9.7. Fantastic - one step closer to shutting down a Windows partition!

However, kicking off Newsbin in an x-term generates a great deal of extraneous error messages accumulating over time

Code: Select all
err:progress:ProgressWindowProc unknown msg 09b4 wp=0000 lp=00000000
err:progress:ProgressWindowProc unknown msg 09b6 wp=0000 lp=00000000
err:progress:ProgressWindowProc unknown msg 09b6 wp=0000 lp=00000000

I am inclined to ignore this as Newsbin seems to work just fine and if I invoke Newsbin via a KDE menu item I won't see the errors anyway. Has anyone also come across this, and how could these error messages be eradicated? Something else I need to do in the set-up?

Thanks for any comments or help.
CarbonTi
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/17/05

Postby DThor » Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:15 am

Wine spews out tons of these sorts of messages with many apps it runs. It seems to default to a fairly verbose mode, even though there's even *more* warnings that can be toggled on(yay! :roll:). I haven't taken the time to figure out how to turn them off(even if possible), but then I never need to. Either I'm running via KDE as you, and those messages are safely going away to /dev/null(you don't need to worry about them accumulating anywhere), or I'm trying to debug a problem via the CLI and I want them. :)

DT
V6 Troubleshooting FAQ . V6 docs. Usenet info at Usenet Tools. Thanks!
DThor
Elite NewsBin User
Elite NewsBin User

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Postby CarbonTi » Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:01 pm

DT:

Thanks for the response to this. OK, then I will not be concerned with this.

I have only been running this for a day or so but it seems to work just fine in Wine. The windows icons in toolbar are truncated and some of the screen refreshes need a nudge to show updates but any of us that have used Newsbin for years can get around inside our setups without looking much anyway.

Most of these comments center around aesthetic issues and the user nitpicking inherent in computers. For me, if and when Newsbin runs native to Linux is now less pressing.

Regards...
CarbonTi
n00b
n00b

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/17/05

Return to Linux