Newsbin 5.02 compared to Newsbin 4.32 on wine 0.9

While it isn't officially supported, we have many users who successfully run NewsBin under Linux with a Windows emulator (Wine is the most popular). This forum exists for you Linux guys to share your experience getting NewsBin running on Linux as well as report any strangeness that we may or may not be able to fix. DThor is the resident expert.

Moderators: Quade, dexter, newsraider, DThor

Newsbin 5.02 compared to Newsbin 4.32 on wine 0.9

Postby Koeroemaya » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:30 pm

Hi all ...

i have been running both versions for a little while now .. with help from DThor and others ..
first how to set it up ... Newsbin 5.02 seems a little bit more unstable .. if you push the wrong buttons ... but if you keep away from these ... 5.02 is a lot faster compared to 4.32 on wine .. especially while downloading headers from groups with lots and lots of headers ...... especially the progress bar i like a lot on 5.02 ... when clicking show posts ... or show all posts ... it shows you it is doing something ... with the 4.32 version when it was frozen it was sometimes hard to tell if it was trying to recover or just sitting there doing nothing ... when dowloading headers one can also see the progress .. and when comparing both versions ... 5.02 feels a lot faster to me already ... and running quite good on wine ... :)

Greetings

Koeroemaya
Koeroemaya
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 12/13/03

Postby nubis » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:49 pm

5.02 works much better for me than Newsbin 4. In v4, I had encountered a very strange network timeout isse: After downloading for more than a half hour, suddenly the transfer speed went to 0.
The downloads didn't officially "fail" though and clogged all my download connections one after another.

I found a workaround by installing a simple proxy software, then I channeled all downloads through this proxy. That way, all outside connections were handled by the proxy, and no longer by wine/Newsbin.
nubis
Occasional Contributor
Occasional Contributor

Registered Newsbin User since: 04/01/03

Return to Linux